Monday, October 6, 2008

La Cucuracha

So last night I was laying in bed having a little trouble falling asleep which was weird because I was super tired. I just continued to feel "not right" so I went and checked the door locks...again...locked. Checked the IRON on the counter to make sure it was off...cuz you know I was IRONING at 10:30, seriously. Then I spotted it. The COCKROACH. That's right, I obviously have some sort of 6th cockroach sense. So we're talking a light reddish color, 5-6 inches long... ok maybe more like 1 and a 1/4 inches. This was no infant roach though. He knew exactly what he was doing there. After I vomited in my mouth a little, I went into action.

Now, gratefully we are more of a "cricket" house- which are also nasty in large numbers and we thankfully have had a total of (counting this one) 3 cockroaches in our house in the last 3 years. So I know, I know, I really can't complain-especially to you "scorpion houses"... but I absolutely hate cockroaches. Uugh, shiivvver. They are probably at, or near the top of pretty much everyone's list of nastiness too. I don't expect any comments saying how "cute they are" and that you are "opening up your own home as a cockroach "half-way" house for those who have are living on the streets". Even just thinking about them makes me squirm and pull a face. sick.

Anyway, my first thought was- smash it with my broom, but that was a "no go" because I would have had to pass within a forbidden 3 foot radius of the cockroach to get to my broom, and I wasn't going to risk "a runner" getting away. So I went for the shoes. I threw like 3 shoes at it-from a safe distance of course, hoping to at least mame it, but it scurried under the china hutch. So then I did the only thing any loving mother protecting her family would. I pulled out my beloved and trusty DYSON. I love this vacuum. I'll admit, it was a splurge after years of poor to nonexistant vacuuming, but it was worth EVERY SINGLE PENNY. Now, it did cross my mind that it was 12:34 in the middle of the night, but ya gotta do what ya gotta do. It was either- turn on the vacuum and risk waking everyone up or let the little nasty thing lay baby cockroach eggs all over my laundry room, which would be the beginning of many years of throwing up in my mouth and fighting the cockroach army to get my house back. choice made. So with one quick swoop I sucked up that nasty ol' cockroach before he even knew what hit him, or sucked him in this case. Then I did the victory dance in my underwear while I let the vacuum run to make sure he was good and dead.

I went back to bed, feeling gratified and ready for a peaceful slumber. My hubby asked: "why did you turn on the vacuum?" me: "I had to suck up a huge cockroach". hubby: "oh cuz it was going to attack you?" me: "yes. I'm so glad we both see the severity of the situation." hubby: "good job". me: you'll think twice when next time I just let it live, and it crawls into your ear while you're sleeping, and lays it's little nasty baby cockroach eggs."
oh, he'll thank me then.

7 comments:

ALYN said...

Maybe you can develop a TV series... Roach Hunter. Good Work!

janae said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWW!!! I vacuum up bugs, too. And of course, you have to leave the vacuum running to make sure it dies. :)

Marni said...

I HATE roaches! I actually {{{shivered}}} when I was reading the story! I am trying to train my boys to love bugs, so they can get them all for me!

Jessica said...

Yuck! Good for you! Unfortunately we have all 3...cricket mania, scorpions (3 a summer), and yes, a few nasty cockroaches. Doesn't it make you feel so dirty?! I have to tell myself that I can't clean the sewer so technically it's not my fault. I was laughing so hard at your conversation! He should be grateful...maybe he should think about the possibility that that was maybe the beginning of his ear problems in the first place?!

Kristyn said...

My husband makes fun of me too when I freak out over bugs. One time, I told him to go over and take care of a bug IN OUR ROOM and he just threw it!! Nasty! I seriously called 2 people that night to get second opinions that throwing does not count as taking care of a bug. A bit much? Probably, but he seriously didn't get what was so wrong with that. I had to make sure that never happened again. (I think he'll kill me for telling you all that.)

And you have a dyson? Oooh, I'm envious. I've heard they're the bomb dot com.

AND, I was really writing to tell you I don't think I'll make it tomorrow night. So sorry. But this book will probably make for the best discussion you guys have had yet, so have fun!

sarah said...

This situation does sound very, very serious. So I don't mean to mock, but all I can really think about is exactly how the victory dance in your underwear went. I am sure Peder would have paid for a front row seat to that event. Heck he probably could have sold tickets and made some extra dough. I'm just Saying!

ALYN said...

Randi,
I really enjoyed reading your blog today. I'm glad to see that you have moved on from the fat/bra pictures. Keep those creative juices flowing.
Love, c Nathan Hancock