Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Butterfly mobile

I'm a copy cat. My friend Margo made a beautiful butterfly mobile for her new cutie pie, and when i saw it i just had to steal it.
So I made this one for my sister's new cutie pie Claire.

If you want to be a copy cat too...here's how.

get 2 sizes of those metal wreaths from a craft store. they are actually green but you're gonna want to spray paint them white of course. i just used some fishing line to tie them together to make a bigger form. 
next, you need butterflies.
 lots and lots of them. i think i used around 200. i used vellum and was able to cut 5-6 at a time so it really wasn't that bad...and pretty much totally worth it.

  punch holes and string fishing line through the butterflies. i did lines of 6,5,4,3,and 2 and used just a tiny bit of tape to secure them.  
next, jerry rig somthing to hang it on so you can start putting it together.
 
add some ribbon around the edge... 
and a bow...

then just hang it up for your baby to admire!
enjoy!

4 comments:

Tera said...

Totally cool!

ALYN said...

I happened to have slept in the room with that mobile. I thought it was good looking. It makes a little rustling noise in the air flow of the fan. Maybe that'll be a soothing white noise for Claire! : P

Sassy Sites! said...

shut up! I am totally stealing this idea for my craft blog! Of course I will link it back to you though!! xoxo

Paige said...

As someone who has seen the finished product in person, I can attest that it is quite adorable! Such a cute mobile! And made with love from an auntie. Well done Randi!