Monday, August 10, 2009

Willy Wonka was not a Mormon

Here's how I know. So Pete and I had the lovely pleasure of going with Doug Donaldson through the Temple for his first time. Woo hoo! Pete even got to be his escort which was very cool.

I had taken the kids to the zoo early that morning to beat the heat...like rip them out of their beds early, ya know so it would only be 105 instead of 115. Anyway, it had been a busy, tiring day, so I grabbed a few Everlasting Gobstoppers -that I had left over from girls camp- to keep my mouth busy so my eyelids would stay open. Ya know how that goes. So things were going just fine until my second gobstopper. I went to swallow the chewed up pieces and holy cow, a piece of that gobstopper got stopped in my gob. OK, that was retarded, but it really did get stuck in my throat -really bad. So of course I start coughing. Loudly. I tried to swallow it a few times but every time I did, it made this hurty, soury taste in my throat and I felt like I was going to throw up. I even started the pre barfing sweat and continued to cough the kind of cough that makes your ribs hurt and your eyes water. And of course lovely people start asking if I'm ok and offering me cough drops and the such as. Apparently almost everyone brings cough drops to the Temple because 4 people offered me one on my short way out to the hall to get a drink. I bet cough drops don't make you want to vomit in the temple. I of course declined them since it wasn't really a coughing issue...it was an everlasting gobstopper issue. So embarrassing. And let me just tell you that Willy named those little guys accurately. The water made it better but not completely. They really are everlasting. At least after holding up the session a bit, I was able to finish it without vomiting so that was good.
So a word to the wise....stick with the tic tacs, altoids, breath savers, butter mints, lifesavers... or whatever. Leave the Everlasting Gobstoppers for another time!

4 comments:

janae said...

I'm not sure if I should blush or laugh! That is awful ... in a completely hilarious sort of way. I guess it did it's job, though. It definitely kept you awake!

Courtney from The Beauty Mark said...

That would happen to you. I carry starbursts in the temple...the wrapper is a little distracting though. One time the lady next to me offered me a jolly rancher, but it was one of those really big ones, and she wanted to split it with me. Uh, no thanks.

Leah said...

Glad you made it out of there alive! That's a pretty funny story. I'm so happy you didn't barf, although I do know there are little workers who clean that stuff up....I think they are called Umpa Lumpas!

Maria said...

Oh my goodness! I totally had a mental picture of the whole thing. Thanks for sharing! I needed a laugh.