Friday, September 12, 2008

What's in a Name?

So when I married my wonderful hubby I took his last name of Kartchner.
That's K-A-R,...-T,...-C-H-N-E-R.
I will mention that I was quite attached (literally) to my maiden name, but apparently they kinda frown on not taking your hubby's last name. My maiden name was a nice lovely name that I never had to spell and rarely got mispronounced.
But alas, the rules are the rules.
It's not that I don't super love my hubby, or his Mormon Pioneer surname, it's just that when I get called
Mrs. Krachner, or Mrs. Krotchner
I have to cringe a little.
(seriously, as if someone's name would really be Krotchner. And if you thought that's what it was, wouldn't you take another look at it, just to make sure you are not calling someone a krotch mistakenly?)
Oh to be a Smith or Jones.
Except they all think their names are boring.
You just can't win I guess.

9 comments:

Paige said...

I hear you Randi--and share your sentiments. I've only been married a year and a half, and I've been called Paige LOONY a thousand times. It's funny with an L people!

Mollie Lawrence said...

ok....i married from scott, to lawrence....not to bad.... at least you can take it with a grain of salt and all make us laugh!

Becky and Brian said...

I miss my maiden name because it is nice to have it mispronounced sometimes. I love my husband but being a Smith is not very original.But it was fun on our honeymoon to watch the movie Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Leah said...

At least people don't think you're related to Gary Coleman, the Black guy!

Blaylock said...

Yeah I get Baylock from time to time but I can't top Krotchner. By the way that is what I'm calling Peder from now on.

--Aaron ;o)

Emily P. said...

IT seems everywhere I go, people refuse to accept that my name is Poland, NOT Polland. Not only do they say it wrong, they even spell it wrong. I can't tell you how many times I've told people my last name, "Poland", followed by the explanation..."like the country" and they STILL spell it: Polland. Give me a break, people!

P.S. I have an award waiting for you on my blog. Check it out!

Becca said...

Yes, coming from a Mrs. Jones, I am playing you my tiny violin. Sometimes I tell people it's pronounced "Honez" just to shake it up a little.

Lacey said...

As a co-winner of Emily's most loved blog award, I felt it necessary to come over and bask in your blog's awesomeness. You are soooo funny, I almost died like 7 times. Best laughs of my life. Seriously. :)

Angeler said...

At least you got to change your last name. You should see our Christmas card list. Everything goes to Christansen's.

And people don't know I got married because I still have my maiden name.